Friday, January 27, 2012

smokey eye how to



Hey everyone! Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to do those ever so popular, smokey eyes. I will be doing a video tutorial on this as soon as I can to further explain some steps and maybe try out some different colors. Today I chose to do a matte(meaning no shimmer) brown smokey eye with a soft shimmery highlight. You can do any color you like, purple, black, green, gold...the choice is yours! So lets get started!

Here are the 3 brushes you will need to create this look. (left to right) Small all over eyeshadow brush, angled (some people say slanted) eyeliner or a brow brush(i have an eye liner brush and use it for filling in brows and cream/gel liners) , and last but certainly not least a crease brush. The crease brush is key to making a smokey eye...smokey! it is going to blend the shadows together for that soft smoked out look everyone goes crazy for.
 swatches of the two shadows i will be using on my eyes. I wanted to show you what they looked like so if you can't use the exact ones I did , you could find some colors similar. (please ignore my daughter's fro in the background. haha!) 
I chose to use coffee bean (right) from the Too Faced Matte eye shadow palette as my main smokey eye color. I also used that and chinchilla (right) together to fill in my brows. I suggest these colors to fill in your brows if they are darker like mine are. 
                                         
My favorite highlight! Laura Mercier's baked eye shadow in Ballet Pink. 
Urban Decay's 24/7 glide on eye pencil in Zero. (any good eyeliner will work, chose your favorite) I like Urban Decay's because they do not give me those infamous raccoon eyes! 
Make Up For Ever's Smokey Lash mascara in brown. This stuff is great! Easily one of my top 3 best mascaras ever! You could totally use a black for more drama. Since I'm not going anywhere today i chose to use a brown. 

Ok! Now that you know what you will need to create a basic smokey eye, let us get started for real this time!
 Step 1: I started off by filling in my brows, using coffee bean and chinchilla by Too Faced. Next, I applied my favorite eye shadow primer called "greed" by Urban Decay. Eye shadow primer is what is going to prevent the shadow from creasing and make it last all day or all night. OR all day AND night if you want! 


Step 2:
Using your all over eye shadow brush, PAT (not sweep) on coffee bean all along your lower lid up until you hit your crease. 








Step 3:
Grab your crease brush and go to town! Using back and forth strokes, blend the outer edge (basically where you left off).REMEMBER! This step is KEY to making a smokey eye smokey! Continue to blend and pull the color up towards your brow bone then stop! Apply your highlight color to your brow bone and blend the to colors together. you want the darker color on the bottom to gradually fade into the lighter color on top. 




Step 4:
Apply your favorite eyeliner, some faux lashes if desired, and your favorite mascara! 


CONGRATS! You just did a smokey eye! haha! I really hope this helps answer any questions you had. Again, either Teri or I will be doing a video on this once we get our youtube page up and running. Have a great day and thank you for your support! Feel free to comment below or share this with your friends! 


Don't forget to have fun with it and if you get frustrated just remember, make a funny face! 


xoxo, 
Kendra! 








No comments:

Post a Comment